When I tried to potty train Spencer at 3, it was a disaster. Even my mom, who raised 10 kids, suggested I give up and wait until he was 'ready.' I tried treats, charts, promise of a new bike...to no avail. I tried reasoning, but that ended up back in my face. One day I said, "You know Spence, you have to be able to wear big boy underwear to go to school." (he asked me daily how long until he could go to school). Spencer thought about it and said, "Well, I'm just 3. And I don't go to school until I'm 5. So I have awhile." ?!?!?!?! I figured I might actually have a kid in diapers at school regisration, but nope. A few months later he was ready and trained in a few days.
That said, I was absolutely procrastinating doing this with Grant, and postponed it as long as possible. We moved, had a baby...had the house painted.....celebrated Christmas.........got sick? Ok. I'm out of reasons. So we did it! And it wasn't nearly so bad.
I know I'll get in trouble for this later, but I couldn't resist posting this potty training picture. His undies are backwards, a little too tight, and they're riding both up and down at the same time. ?! All while chilling on the trampoline. Gotta love it.


That same week he got a black eye...which I swear had nothing to do with me being a frustrated, potty training parent! ;) I didn't actually see him 'run into the couch,' but I heard it. I knew it would be a shiner, so we iced it with a popsicle for as long as possible...and then I let him eat it. The next day Grant tried to pull a fast one on me. He said he needed a popsicle 'real bad 'cause because his eye hurt again.' Nice try, buddy. This picture is 5 days AFTER the incident. I've gotten totally used to him looking like this and I forget that people are staring at the store. What's the big deal? He's still the handsome devil he always was to me!
8 comments:
Ok, I won't panic about trying to potty train Tanner. Kinley was well on her way by now, but the idea of even making an attempt with Tanner at this age is downright laughable!! It doesn't even seem like a remotely reasonable idea. Not that I don't really look forward to seeing him running around the house in backwards underoos and all...
How have they handled him not being potty trained at pre-school?
And, stop beating your kids.
Jeez! Poor Grant, abused like that! My kids never get hurt like that... So anyway, Congrats on not having to buy more Grant diapers. I am having a budgeting problem because I keep forgetting that I have to buy two huge boxes from Costco. YIKES!
the underwear pictures are too funny! And he is still very handsome with his black eye.. he looks tough!
Asia does her own pull-ups now, off and on. Darryl is appalled every morning when she comes out half-buff to throw her used pair away (diapers only go in the kitchen garbage at our house and she insists on walking from the bathroom to the kitchen with her pants pulled down), but he has yet to help her into a better routine. The next potty training adventure for us is to make it through the night dry. People say that they wake the child up to take them to the bathroom. Asia doesn't do well being woken up and neither do I. She's usually in bed by 8:30 pm and I want to be asleep by 10:30 pm. How do I fit a bathroom run in there to do any good?
That is so funny! You are so resourceful to use a popsicle. I can tell that am going to enjoy reading your blog!
He's been hanging out with Spence- I can tell... they both have that Grease Lighting smirk for the camera down pat!
ok, can i just say that i love you blog? it is so entertaining. these little stories you include are so fun to read. say hi to our nephews for us!
Congratulations! That's the best!
Post a Comment