Yesterday my sister-in-law Anita came over for a few hours. She had offered to do whatever I needed to get ready for the baby. I was so looking forward to it. Last week we had to reschedule and I was surprised at how bummed I was! I think I really needed a boost, especially after being sick and hearing from my doctor that I am have not progressed much in the way of labor. This baby's holding on to the end.
Anyway, Anita was like a ray of sunshine! My kids loved playing with her and once Grant went off to school, we started on my 'to do' list. I realized that I had picked projects that were important to me, but not necessarily going to make the family 'to do list' in terms of priority. Just things that were silently driving me crazy- and when a pregnant woman is feeling crazy, yikes!
So we cleaned out my pantry. (Hallelujah!!! For some reason, if the pantry is a mess, don't matter how clean the rest of your house is. You feel behind. Constantly. And of course I hate bending over, so the pantry floor was filling up fast with 'stuff.')
We finished the details to set up the baby's crib. (It just felt like a job to do with another woman who would 'ohh and ahh' with you.)
We ironed and hung the kitchen curtains that I washed almost 2 months ago and never hung back up! Yes, that had to be done before the baby came. Totally logical, right? :)
We vacuumed out the car. For some reason, it just doesn't feel right bringing a baby home in a dirty car! As we drove home from the car wash, I couldn't help but sigh in peace. No clutter in the car, no garbage floating around, no crumbs on the ground. Baby can come home now.
Finally we (I should say she- by this point I was lying down with my feet up) washed dirty hand prints off the walls. Again, why is this necessary before the baby comes?! I have no idea except that it is extremely uncomfortable for me to stoop down and scrub the walls at a 2 yr-old's eye level. Freedom! Dirty hand prints gone- until next month at least.
It was so satisfying to get some of those things off my list. I felt liberated! I know it doesn't totally make sense to focus on random projects like that, especially when the basement toy area looks like a bomb went off and I need to go shopping and make dinner. But Calvin and the boys can clean up toys easily and shopping and dinner are always on the to do list, and important enough that you have to get to it.
And so I feel like Anita just gave me the best gift ever- freedom from my crazy self and my to do list. :) We had a great time chatting through the whole process and it was like somebody dropped a ray of sunshine on me after being sick all last week and feeling behind and sleep deprived. (still recovering- ugh). I was so tired after Anita left, I took a 2 hr nap. Man I am such a wimp! She did most of the work!
And so we keep waiting for this little guy to come. He's in no hurry, which is confusing since I've had a baby 10 days early, 6 weeks early, and one induced on my due date. It's the not knowing that drives me crazy! But now we know. This little guy is staying parked until the last minute. And I'm ok with that, now that I know. 'Cause knowing's half the battle right! Ha. In the meantime, I pacify my waiting by resting or wanting to organize every corner of my house.
So thanks Anita for being my slave for an afternoon. You have no idea how freeing that was to my crazy, over-pregnant, emotional mind. :) I feel inspired enough to do the next thing on my to do list. It's so random I won't even bother to mention it, he he. Please tell me I'm not the only crazy, nesting pregnant woman that ever existed!
PS- I'm totally going to offer my services to a pregnant friend at the end of their pregnancy. It rocks! I totally owe you Anita!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I am so with you! My last minute projects include sewing easter dresses and organizing my craft room. I also wanted to make a quilt and get a pedicure...yes, these are very important items... :) If only I weren't too embarrased to have someone come over and help me clean my bathrooms!
p.s. good luck--can't wait to see pics of that new baby!
Oops! That was me before--I am always doing that!
What a neat service. I wouldn't even think to offer that. Until now! Good luck with everything!
What a great idea! Hang in there
Post a Comment