Friday, May 28, 2010

School's Out

"It was the best of times. It was the worst of times."

Today school is out and it is officially summer vacation! It is bitter sweet. I love it, because we don't have to get up and get out the door, or do homework. We don't have to have a schedule and we can do whatever we want. I don't love it because... well, things can get chaotic and crazy with no schedule and all that free time- to make messes and drive mom crazy with fighting. :) There is more to clean up. More to organize. More in general!

So this summer I think I'll have a little more structure.

Things I expect:
- Be dressed before breakfast.
- Room clean before playing outside/going to friend's/playing computer.
- No leaving the house before 9am (or inviting people in).
- Do 1 daily job and 1 other job to help.
- Clean up before moving on to another project
- Be back home by a certain time every night.
- Bedtime/'quiet time'- reading time before bed if not tired

Things to do:
- Practice our Spanish (watch disney in Spanish)
- Try to read 1000 collective pages this summer
- Learn about 1 country a week- look at maps, eat a dinner from that country, learn a little about the people and culture.
- Build a structure out of every lego we own (that's a lot!)
- Camp, play outside, swim, and ride bikes.
- Play lots of card and board games.
- Keep a summer journal (work on improving handwriting in the process)
- Eat lots of popsicles
- 'Park Hop'- visit a new park each week
- Hold a lemonade stand
- Join our ward 'Wednesday Outing' day.
- Eat hot breakfasts (it's my favorite meal of the day)
- Write stories (make a book with illustrations)
- Hunt for bugs
- Watercolor (lessons from Cal)
- Guitar lessons (from Cal)
- Teach Spence how to make something in the kitchen (cookies?)
- Bike and car wash
- BBQ. Lots!

Things I hope don't happen:
- Let kids play video games all summer
- Get fried in the sun
- Eat junk food/snack all day
- Tear the house apart
- Get too little sleep
- Read nothing

It is a fine balance between having a carefree, fantastic summer and unhealthy chaos. I'm sure I'll walk the line of both. When I do figure out what 'rules' we'll have for the summer, I'm going to post them so we all remember (myself included). Then I'm going to have the kids make a list of 100 things they'd like to do and post that. Hopefully we'll be able to fight the boredom for as long as we can.

I know these are lofty goals. But my weakness is organization so I figure I'd better set my goals high to start with, then if/when I don't meet all the goals it is still withing the range of acceptable to me.

HAPPY SUMMER!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

YOu go, girl. Reading your itinerary made me so tire I'm going to bed for a while.

Bethany C. said...

Ha. I know. I re-read my post this morning and thought the same thing. :)

Sierra said...

Bethany, you're such a good mom :) I hope I can be too!

becca said...

Bethany, I echo Sierra that you are such a great mom! And Sierra, if you read this again, you will be too! And Dad, you are a cool dad too! :))) Ookay enough of that! I want to say that I loved your summer post Bethany! I am looking at my kids getting out of school in about two weeks and I want to organize our summer plans so we can strike that healthy balance between chaos (carefree-edness) and structure (keeping my sanity!) I wonder what is going on with you guys with moving? Any word officially!? Love you so much and miss all of you! My kids say that frequently - how much they miss their Cory cousins!
Love,
Becca