Thursday, January 17, 2008

Visit to the ER

What an eventful week! On Sunday I took Grant home early from church because he was complaining that his stomach hurt. On the way home he complained louder about his tummy. By the time we got home (we live within walking distance), he was literally screaming in pain! Long story short, after watching him scream in pain for an hour, I took him to the ER. Actually, Grandpa Cory took us to the ER and Grandma stayed home with Dallin. Grant screamed in pain the entire 2 1/2 hour wait. (Never go to the ER on a Sunday nights!) People waiting in the lobby either felt bad for him or moved to the other side of the room to get away from his wailing. One little girl bought him a water bottle with her own money. Another lady kept pleading on his behalf at the front counter. Let it be known that screaming does NOT speed up your visit to the ER. And why am I ok with that? Because, in the end, after 2 x-rays and a lot of scare, it was concluded that Grant had a severe case of....

CONSTIPATION!

Yep. That's it. See, Grant decided he was done with diapers and wanted to wear big boy underwear all week. He'd only had 1 accident so far, and that was playing outside. However, it turns out he was avoiding pooping in the toilet and as a result got all plugged up to the point that his poor intestines were spasming. (is that a word?) This is why he cried out in pain every 10 seconds or so consistently. Sound like a ruptured spleen? Or something else scary? Yeah, me too. Poor Grant. He was really in a lot of pain.

Needless to say, it was an exhausting evening at the ER (and slightly humiliating)...but it didn't end there. Both Dallin and Grant puked after I arrived home...Dallin from overeating after not taking a bottle, and Grant from gagging on medicine.

So...we will be revamping a few things around here involving adding more fiber to our diet, eating more fruits and veggies, etc. Should you have a great recipe or sneaky way to get your kids to eat more veggies, PLEASE let me know.

Oh, Grant, it's a good thing you're so cute!

4 comments:

Megan B said...

Oh, Bethany! #1 -- I would have been PISSED sitting in the ER waiting room (remember me, with my eye hanging out of my head was taken in after all of the illegals there for their stuffy noses and coughs). But to find out it's constipation? I'm so glad it wasn't the spleen or something like appendicitis or something!

Ugh, but STILL....

I do have some recommendations. Comfy?

#1 -- Benefiber
#2 -- Jessica Seinfeld's new book "Deceptively Delicious", which we got for Christmas
#3 -- Fresh pineapple (at an all-time low price right now) covers a multitude of tastes in a blender, as does banana. Carrots, broccoli, spinach, anything. I have a great orange, banana, carrot recipe on my blog, and the broccoli one was pretty good too, if Grant could get past the color...
#4 -- Oh, I have SOoooo much to say on this as things have changed a lot around here recently. Do you eat veggies yourself? A LOT? In front of them? For snacks? Do you try to force it down them or are you nonchalant about it, making them wonder WHY you aren't coercing them, wanting to try? Maybe sticker charts? Ranch dressing? Different salads (Once Kinley tried the Costa Vida pork salad I haven't been able to eat one in peace ever since -- and Tanner is all over the brown rice and romaine salad).

He is at a tough age with a serious problem that you have to deal with before he's old enough to really negotiate with, dang it! He's not at a super reasonable age, that's for sure! ANd the constipation thing is a big deal, how NOT FUN for him! Is he even old enough to get the correlation??

One of the things that has been motivating Kinley recently is Captain Carlos!! Sometimes she wakes up and says "I don't want to eat any junk today, only good stuff, like Captain Carlos." Disney channel, as you probably know :)

YOU HAVE FED KINLEY. You know what she eats and DOESN'T eat. She is a totally different kid now, but I don't know how much is our approach, and how much is just a natural age maturity thing. SO HARD to know!

Now, beyond this, if you were up to it, you could start making your own fresh whole wheat bread, which is better than anything at the store, or you could just look for stone-ground whole wheat bread at the store, which is probably what I would do. It's dairy and white flour processed stuff that is the greatest consitpator -- white bread, (alas) cereal, tortillas, pastas, creamy sauces, cheese.

Ha ha, I know all this stuff (thank you, Crazy Heather!) but I don't always live it, ha ha ha!

OK, so did this comment totally go over the top or what?

Oh, and LOTS AND LOTS of water. Maybe he could have a sticker chart and a sticker for every cup of water he drinks, earning a trip somewhere or something. Just an unsolicited idea from little old me :) Can you tell I'm lonesome this morning?

janet said...

My oh my!! What an event!

I was going to suggest Deceptively Delicious.. but it looks like it's already been covered. In fact, I am not sure there's anything else to say after the comment above!

Good luck!

janel said...

I think a friend told me they have spinach nuggets at Costco (?) that taste amazingly like chicken. Good luck. Blueberries work wonders for our girls' digestion! Constipation can happen to the best of us! I called Krista at 2 am once to ask for advice for Sage. It's so hard to see them in so much pain! He is pretty dang cute, though!

Bethany C. said...

What great comments! This gives me lots of great ideas to choose from. THIS is why blogs are so cool. Thanks, ladies.