What a crazy few weeks it has been. Last week we took Grant to the ER (see below), Dallin was recovering from a post-RSV cold and had to have his nebulizer treatment 4x a day, then he got an infection...down there, which turned into a diaper yeast infection...
CRAZY!
Nobody had anything serious, but it really wiped me out. I was sleep deprived AND feeling tired from an unknown sinus infection. I was relieved to find out that I also had a medical reason to feel so exhausted, 'cause I was feeling like a pretty big, lazy looser! Phew.
So we are on the mend now. Here's the update: (somehow Spence avoided ANY illness...knock on wood).
Grant- Thanks to some great ideas from friends and a little research on my own, we've been adding lots of fiber, fruits, veggies and H2O to our diet. Grant is coming along nicely. I think I'll post a few recipes we've enjoyed. Grant IS catching on to healthier eating. This morning he was popping wheat chex in his mouth saying, "Look, mom! My arm is already bigger from this healthy food!" We've started a new chart where the kids get to put a sticker on it when they try a new food. Haven't thought of a good reward yet, but it's not going to be food related!
Dallin- He is no longer on his nebulizer treatment, and after waking every few hours throughout the night for the past month, we had a great victory! Last night he slept perfectly! It is so hard to teach your baby to sleep well when you just don't know what's wrong. Dallin is normally a pretty mellow baby, so all this waking and crying frazzled me something fierce. I have sad memories of making Spencer 'cry it out,' only to discover in the morning that his ear drum had burst!!! Yeah, I felt rotten. Anyway, I finally broke down and bought "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child," by Marc Weisbluth. It is an excellent book on sleep for kids. So I spent this week trying to regulate Dallin's schedule little by little. It is working! One of the theories is that 'sleep begets sleep,' and I totally agree with it. A cranky baby is often just overtired. Heck, I was pooped from all his night waking, I can't imagine how he felt! He is no longer waking every 45 minutes during naps and at night. Yeah to successful sleep habits. I feel like I could take on the world now. (By noon I'm sure I'll be ready for a nap!) :)
Everything seems brighter today! Now, if I could only get on that show 'Ten Years Younger,' I look like I've been dragged across the plaines AND I gained 5 lbs. :) I love my boys and I'd do anything for them. These last few weeks of administering meds, night wakings and endless doctor visits remind me that it is quite a responsibility (and full time job) keeping my kids healthy. And that's not including emotional health and educational development! They are worth it though. And if I don't do it, who will?
Thursday, January 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Oh my goodness, what a week you have had! I can only imagine how hard you are working to keep your spirits up and your attitude sassy :) You are amazing! Can't wait to see the recipes!!!!
You poor woman; I know how hard weeks like that can be. It's so strange how taking care of your children, even when you're being tortured by sleep-deprivation, among other things, increases the power of love you have for them. My husband calls me a "rabid mother" because my love is so fierce sometimes. I'm hoping he means that as a compliment ;)
Glad you're all better again. Dr. W's book is my FAVORITE. I live by it!!!!!
So that's what it takes to get your arm to grow...wheat chex. Who knew? : )
WOW! What a woman (and mother) you are!! Your boys are lucky to have you... it's not easy taking care of sick kids and staying healthy yourself! But you're right.. they are SO worth it.
And the "something fierce" reminded me of Love Comes Softly. Didn't you say it was one of your favorites? I love that movie.
Post a Comment