This week Grandma Larainne initiated a 'Lehi in the Wilderness' FHE experience. We've been (attempting) to read the scriptures together in the mornings and that's where we are in the Book of Mormon. (FYI- We live with Grandma and Grandpa). I am especially grateful for my in-laws support in this area. It's just so HARD sometimes to get your little ones together to read scriptures or have a lesson. Especially when hubby is out of town all week! And yet I can feel direct blessings from doing it. So we try. And fail. And try again. I am always amazed at the peace that comes when we try to incorporate spiritual matters in our family.
So on Monday, after an exhausting day, Grandma suggested we do something she did with her kids for FHE. Reenact Lehi's family in the wilderness. I was all for not having to do FHE by myself, so we packed some snacks (nuts, craisins, gold fish crackers, water...the basics), and we drove a few minutes away to a gulley. We hiked down and had a short (very short) lesson by Grandpa on Lehi and his family.
All was going fairly well until...Grant decided to throw the HUGEST tantrum I'm ever seen right there, in the dark, in the dirt, kicking and screaming. All in the name of getting his turn with the flashlight. It was awful! I thought for sure some one would call the cops.
Spencer seemed to enjoy the experience and actually learned something. Grant? I'm not sure he picked up on any doctrine or anything. But he did learn that if you kick and scream, and kick and scream, and cry and pout and roll in the dirt, and try run away because you are mad, all while in a dark gulley- you may get left there! And you still won't get the flashlight. If we’d really been in Lehi’s time, I’d have tied him to a camel. It sure does bring new meaning to 'and there was wailing and gnasing of teeth' in the wilderness!
In the end we made it out alive. And it was definitely the most memorable FHE ever. I wonder if Grandma and Grandpa will ever initiate an acticity like that again. ;)
This is the first photo of the night. Everyone is pretty happy.

Spence is a little distracted by the dirt, but listening nonetheless to Grandpa. So sweet!

Spencer clearly had a great time.

Grant on 'rock duty' to keep him busy

Last photo before the melt down. The adults already look tired! And Grant, well you can tell trouble's coming.

"A" for effort, right?
5 comments:
You do what you can and hope somewhere in between the fights and fits that they get something out of it. At least you can say you tried. I find that my kids are usually worse during, scripture time or FHE--I guess that means were supposed to be doing it. All about learning that patience. I'll live to be 1000 before I get it!
Way to go, Cory family!! I love the idea! And you have my deepest sympathy, no EMPATHY for disastrous FHE experiences :) It certainly does seem like they pull out all the crazy juice just before FHE!!!!!
You will have to explain that one to me later. Grant still has a black eye I see! Cute and growing family. Love you!
The funny thing about these exhausting experiences is that Spencer will probably always remember this event and he will only remember the fun.
I love the idea! I wonder if my girls will go for something like that. Sorry it didn't go well- I agree that they always are craziest right before you try to do something important- they can smell it in the air. But way to go to keep trying! I think that's the hardest part!
Post a Comment