Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Male and Female

As we're headed to school this morning, Spencer says to me:

Spencer- Mom, what is the difference between a male and a female?
Me- (to myself)-oh crap. Here we go. How much do I say? Doesn't he know the basic differences? Is he talking about detailed anatomy? Hormones? General mars/venus info? How can I avoid this question?
Me- (out loud)What do you mean?
Spencer- You know. Does the boy mean male or female?
Me- (out loud) Oh. Um, a male is a boy and a female is a girl.
Me- (to myself) Phew. That could have been an awkward walk to school conversation this morning!
Spencer- Oh, darn. I wish I was a female. 'Female' sounds cooler than just 'male.'
Me- (to myself) ?!*?!???

8 comments:

Megan B said...

Don't forget, he "REALLLLLY" likes girls! (insert lecherous giggle here)!!

Cairen said...

That is fun that you can walk spencer to school. Meika is always asking me those kinds of questions.. pretty fun!

Summer said...

I think the way you write that was awesome! Our inner thoughts are hard to capture and you did it marvelously. Spencer always did like purple!

Erica said...

That is so funny. I think it is amusing how we sometimes make their questions so much more complicated than they intend...cute.

Cassidy said...

Josh and I are fairly new at blogging and are injoying reading and feeling apart of the lives of our friends. I really enjoyed this entry, as parents can all relate to awkward moments with our kids.

janet said...

Too funny! hopefully you have a couple of years before THAT talk... and we all hope that it's not while walking to school!

And Spencer is ALL boy! I am sure you don't have anything to worry about!

Hilary said...

Hilarious! What a scare. It's a good thing you had him clarify his question before you went into any depth. How funny!

The North Family said...

That is funny. Spencer cracks me up. I love it.