Friday, March 7, 2008

When you can't/won't find a bathroom

Since potty training Grant, we've had a few 'issues' that, individually, are not a big deal. However, over time, they are collectively turning into quite a habit. That habit is...peeing outside!

During the real potty training week, we went to a park that did not have an open bathroom, so I let him pee in the bushes way at the back near all the foliage and dirt. He was thrilled, to say the least, to learn that one could pee somewhere besides our own toilet! And on a bush? That was just too cool. Boys.

Somehow that must have really stuck, because I have caught him on SEVERAL occasions trying to pee outside! The first was on our neighbor's lawn. We were talking while the kids were playing outside and suddenly I see Grant with his pants down about to water their bushes! I sent him inside. Then we were picking Spence up at school and they were playing on the play area. (I was with the same neighbor, by the way). Suddenly, there is Grant at the top of the play structure...with his pants down about to lean over the bridge and relieve himself! So I yelled at him to stop and come down the slide RIGHT NOW. He took me literally and immediately went down the slide, bare bum and all! I thought for sure it would burn and he'd end up crying, but he was fine. ?!

So with that preface, here's the kicker. Yesterday I'm getting dinner ready and I hear the front door open- which means Grant is trying to escape and I need to follow him. So I run out front and what do I see?? Grant standing on the sidewalk, with his pants down, aiming at the street!!!! By this time I'm horrified at what is apparently becoming a habit. After letting him have it pretty good, I asked, "What are you doing?!" Grant says, "Well, I just couldn't find a bathroom, mom." Oooohhh! I get it. You were looking frantically inside our house (where there are 3 bathrooms) and couldn't find one, so you went outside to pee on the street, even though you passed a bathroom on your way out? That makes so much sense, son!

Wow. I'm thinking we've got to kick this habit asap. Seriously. Since then I've heard all kinds of stories about boys peeing off the roof, peeing in the corner of their room (Spence did that once), peeing in a basement drain....the stories go on and on. And I'm sure you've got your own stories!

What is it with boys and the freedom to pee wherever they want??? But as frustrating as it is, I have to admit that it kind of funny. But don't tell Grant. That would only perpetuate the problem. :)

6 comments:

janet said...

Oh.. that is SO hilarious and I can totally relate. There is just a certain amount of freedom that comes from peeing out in the open. I wouldn't know personally, but I can tell my kids feel it :) I laughed out loud when I read he slid down the slide with a bare bum.. thank goodness it's not July!

Danielle said...

Wow. So far I really enjoy the fact that Jacob is hemmed up in a diaper (and I will probably keep that up for a long time). By the way, did you know we are moving to Vegas in August?

Megan B said...

Tales from the Ahroon Household:

Courtney (my sister): Mom!! Come quick! Matthew is going to the bathroom in the yar!

Mom: Oh, that's ok, boys will be boys. There is plenty of wide open space in the back yard for him to pee on!

Courtney: But he's not IN the back yard! He's in the front yard! And... he's not peeing...

kimbo said...

Funny! Caden has the same problem. He's peed in my friends' front yards, at the park, our backyard. I have to admit, it must be kind of nice to be able to drop your pants and just go wherever you feel like. But he did pooh on my parent's back patio this week and I wasn't as amused (It was right after he had peed on the lawn).

Erica said...

That is so funny! Owen peed in our front yard just just the other day! What is it with boys? I'll admit I think it is kind of funny too, but we will just keep that between us!

Jessica Gillespie said...

That is so hilarious! I cant wait to have these little battles with Jack. I love Grant.