Tonight's dinner was exhausting. The plan was this: everyone eats their veggies first and then they can have the rest of their meal. Tonight we were having spaghetti and meatballs, Grant's personal favorite. (I swear I didn't do that on purpose). Peas were the chosen veggie. Dallin ate them. Spencer ate them. I ate them. Grant... would not eat them. I put 7 peas on his plate and he would not eat one.
Our dinner consisted of conversation like this:
Grant- "Mom, I just don't LIKE peas! I just want to eat my meatballs!"
Mom- "I know. You can have lots of meatballs as soon as you eat your peas."
Grant- "Peas are yucky."
Mom- "Try drinking milk with them. They you hardly taste it."
Grant- "I just don't like peas! I want to eat meatballs!"
This went on for 1/2 an hour. I tried not to let my emotions get the best of me. Dinner went on as usual (though it went unusually long).
Then he ate one pea. One single pea.
Grant- "Mom, I ate one pea. Now can I have 1 meatball and 1 piece of toast and 1 noodle?"
I had been prepped for such negotiation, and usually, I would have fallen for it. We decided that he would always negotiate (and I would cave) unless there was a simple rule. Eat all if it. For that reason, I only put a few peas on his plate.
Mom- "You can have as many meatballs as you want when you have eaten all your peas."
Grant- "I just don't like peas!!!" (arms folded, lip out, pouting)
Things got worse before they got better, as they always do in parenting. It peaked at him screaming, "Mom, I just want to eat my healthy food and you won't let me. So now my body won't grow and it's your fault!" I couldn't help but chuckle at that one. Spence and I kept telling him how strong he is and that he can do hard things. (Adopted phrase from old roomie, Erica). :) Nothing seemed to get through. He was determined not to touch the peas.
Meanwhile Dallin had a major blowout diaper that required a bath. A few seconds into his bath, I just knew Grant was sneaking food. Sure enough, he had scarfed one meatball. With his mouth full of food, he said, "I just want a meatball!" At this point I'm realizing that his overreaction at eating 7 peas is ridiculous, which is exactly why we need to do this. So I hug him and tell him I love him and invite him to take a bath with Dallin.
I thought it was over. He ate one pea and would go to bed hungry (minus the 1 stolen meatball). But after his bath, he went over to the table and ATE THE REMAINING PEAS IN ONE BITE! I couldn't believe it! No complaining. No milk to wash it down. I quickly warmed up his meal and he ate, and ate, and ate 7 meatballs! No joke! 7 peas for 7 meatballs. He was so proud. The best was when he said to me with a big smile, "Mom, I knew you could do it." I was cracking up.
I loved seeing how proud he was of himself. I think it made him feel good to do something difficult. I was simply proud of myself for not giving in...and surviving it! I guess I can do hard things too. (I know, I'm so dumb).
Grant, you crack me up...when you're not screaming about peas! (I took these pics this week for a father's day present I'm working on).



10 comments:
That is hilarious! Way to hold out for the 6 peas! I love that he was sneaking meatballs, and then said he was proud of you after it all. What a great narrative! (PS--Danielle's going to love reading this, because her Jacob is exactly the same way!!!)
I feel for you!!!! And I did love reading this. Only extremely recently has Jacob even tasted a vegetable by choice. True, it was directly related to me waving chocolate covered raisins in his face as an incentive, but I still considered it a victory. Nice job- I have hope!
That is one of the greatest examples of tough love I have read in awhile. Good job Bethany! Jared is our picky eater at the moment. Be strong.
Good for you!! I love that story.
Is the title of this blog entry, by any chance, a tribute to 7 Brides for 7 Brothers? That makes it even more funny to think of 7 peas and 7 meatballs.
I love it. I'm going to try the same tactic with my picky eater. It is a wonder any of them make it to adulthood or should I say any of the parents make it to their children's adulthood!
LOL! We have had to battle this many times with our boys.
I love this entry Bethany! I can totally relate to having a plan and wondering if I will be able to carry it through. There is such an empowering feeling of success when it goes as planned! Way to go. It is exciting for Grant to overcome a "fear" as well. You are great parents. I love it.
Bethany, If your husband is like mine, he doesn't have anything to do with your blog but knowing you have NO IDEA who I am, will you ask Cal if he remembers Karen Razy from high school. I happened to click on your link from Cyndi Hedden's blog. Anyway, please tell Cal I said Hi! How sweet to see his beautiful family. By the way, it sounds like you need the recipe book from Seinfeld's wife that mixes in the vegetables with the regular food. One little hint with spaghetti sauce is to puree yellow squash and a little zucchini and put it in the sauce. It doesn't change the taste but adds the vitamins!
LOVE the "I knew you could do it." pep talk afterward! He is such a ham!
So, have you guys moved?? Ben's birthday party is coming up and our "Nevada cousins" were the first ones on the invite list!
Post a Comment