Sunday, May 11, 2008

The... Hairiest Mother's Day Ever

Well, I woke up this morning to a quiet breakfast in bed. Just Calvin, Dallin and me. On my dresser was a beautiful spread of yellow roses (my favorite), a card, a gift, and of course, chocolates. There is a whole history itself with flowers and all. You know, don't buy me flowers, just save the money instead! But this year I am enjoying them. Every single petal.


Cal had some making up to do since he wasn't here for my birthday a few weeks ago, and I was out of town for Mother's Day last year. Since his sleep schedule is off from mine (ie: he's awake in the middle of the night), he took that time to be a little fairy (a very manly fairy, mind you) around the house. Neither Cal nor I was aware that he could successfully make an omelet! I was quite impressed! He confessed that he cried over the onions. (Note to self- Excuse to buy the Pampered Chef dicer so next year he won't have to suffer while making me breakfast...ha ha).

While the older kids were still asleep, we enjoyed a tasty breakfast, and he gave me my gift...a bluetooth head piece for my cell phone. So I can talk to him without getting major neck cramps and he can give me fewer neck rubs. (I love how most gifts have at least a bit of selfishness in them). We put our cell phone carrier out of business between the two of us and our 'free minutes.'


Back to my story. So then Grant comes downstairs, peaks around the corner and shouts (coached by Spencer), "Happy Mother's Day!" Spence had made some homemade cards and gave me a dime from his bank. Thoughtful. Cal goes off to bed for the 'night,' and Spence asks me what I like best besides my family, 'cause he's gonna get it for me (cute!). I say the perfect mom answer...that I like games. His eyes light up because he knows just the games we can play. (This is why I deserve to be celebrated today...for my brilliance. Just kidding). We play UNO and Chutes and Ladders for awhile and then I put Dallin down for his nap. Feeling like I deserve a little something nice, I thought I'd take a short snooze while Dallin was asleep. The boys were playing a computer game, and I gave Spence the charge of keeping Grant out of trouble. 10 minutes later I woke up to THIS:

At first I was mad and of course, asked him, "What in the world were you thinking?!" Which of course yields no intelligent answer. It was apparent that he was upset about having taken scissors to his own head, so rather than rub it in too much further, I tried to reassure him that many a kid had tried the same thing and survived. Even Aunt Ali had taken scissors to her head for an hour while watching TV (so the story goes) and did some pretty significant damage. But when I learned the real reason behind Spencer's scissor escapade, I died laughing inside. He was trying to cut this double cowlicks! He has two cowlicks that swirl in opposite directions, creating a t-pee at the top of his head. Self-conscious, he tried to trim it himself. Uh, he kind of missed?! Spence was so torn up about it, he swore he wouldn't go to school tomorrow if I made him look bald trying to fix it. Kinda late for demands now, buddy! So I spent my morning cutting hair and giving baths. I do hate cutting hair. Happy Mother's Day to me! We barely made it to church at time. Church is at 1pm. Yeah. I know.

Here is the fixed up version. You can still see the two big lines in front, but I didn't dare cut it any shorter. Good think his hair grows back so fast. And note that though he isn't smiling his usual cheesy self, he doesn't look half as sad as he did in the first picture. He looks like he has accepted his fate fairly well and escaped with an only slightly wounded pride.

OH, and somehow Spencer innocently handed the scissors to Grant, who also took a chunk out of his own hair on top. His is less noticeable, thankfully, and I didn't actually have to do much to his. It's only noticeable if you look at him at this angle and I only took a before picture of him (the white thing hanging in the picture is my camera cord):



So...I have been cracking inside up all day over this! Oh the irony! I woke up to a beautiful Mother's Day, only to be 'cut short' by my kids and a pair of scissors. Now that's motherhood for you. How can something so naughty be so endearing?! I laughed even harder when they got up to sing with the Primary kids at Church. Grant was swaying his head dramatically, and then he started leaning uncomfortably too far over the little ledge. But the best was at the end when the kids said all together, "Happy Mother's Day," and Grant caught on about 5 seconds late. His little solo shout-out made me laugh so hard I was almost crying. And the whole time I can't stop laughing at their short hair and the leftover scissors marks.

Not all Mother's Days have been so good, but this year will be chalked up in my memory for a long, long time...as one of the hairiest. :)

Note- I fully acknowledge that had I not been showered with appreciation at 6am by my good husband, this would not have been nearly as funny.

6 comments:

Josh said...

Atta boy Cal!

janet said...

Loved this post.. maybe because I can totally relate with three little boys. How is it that both Ben and Spence cut their own hair in the same month? Too funny! I am sure you loved cutting hair- before church on Mother's day!

And Calvin is such a good little fairy!!

Megan B ♥ said...

GOOD on ya, Calvin! Oh, and tell Spencer that it's good to learn this lesson so young. Some of us learned it in the 7th grade....

Heather Rice said...

Bethany, seems like you handled this very well. Katelyn had fun with scissors, but instead of her own hair, she cut her little friend's hair. Yeah, cut off the pony tails that were on top of her head! I can laugh about it now. Anyway, hope you had a good birthday. I sent you an email, but I'm wondering if I have the wrong email address...so Happy Belated Birthday!

Amy said...

You are an amazing mom! That was a great read! Happy mothers day!

Megan B ♥ said...

Oh, that comment of Heather's cracked me up! Cut off her friend's ponytails! LOL!