Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Sugar and Spice

This morning I drove my in-laws to the airport before school started. On the way back, since we were ready for school anyway, we had breakfast at the school cafeteria together. Maybe I'm naive, but I was shocked at what they had to serve! Chocolate milk, white milk, donuts, muffins, yogurt (the sugariest kind, of course), little waffles, cinnamon rolls, and...string cheese (the only redeeming item besides the milk!). Of course I let my kids pick whatever they wanted, but I couldn't help but think of what a disservice this is for our kids. I read an article a few months ago where one school here was trying to pass ketchup off as a vegetable. Really! I'm thinking we need to start a 'No Child Left Behind Because He Was Pumped Full of Sugar in the School Cafeteria' Act. What do you think?

I love sugar. Don't get me wrong. But watching the chubby kid across from us eat chocolate milk, waffles loaded with syrup, a donut and a muffin for breakfast, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the kid...and his poor teacher. I highly doubt he will be sitting still or listening attentively this morning, at least not to his full capabilities. I've been doing some research lately on food and behavior and their correlation and I find it fascinating. I wish I had some answers, or even the self control to avoid sugar myself. But I HAVE always been a big breakfast fan. Eggs and toast, whole grain cereal... multi-grain cheerios are about as sugary as cereal gets at our house. Without some protein, my poor brain doesn't even have a chance! (Not to mention my kids are back at the table within half an hour for 'breakfast' again).

Still, my kids are less than sugar deprived. Grant spends 75% of his day rummaging for sugar. In fact, on the way to the airport last time, Grandpa said to Grant, "Do you know how much we love you?" Grant's response was, "Do you know how much I love candy?" Grandpa was a little disappointed to say the least.

Awhile back I mentioned my personal studies in 3 areas of my life. Sleep, food and exercise. I have absolutely concluded that lack of sleep affects my emotions, attitude, energy and even personality. It can happen gradually, and I only notice that I'm feeling less than up to par (unless I had a totally sleepless night) after several nights in a row where I miss an hour or two here or there. It adds up! Then add the cinnamon roll I had at the cafeteria for breakfast...I've got zero energy. This is probably elementary for most people, but I am just now learning how essential these things are in my ability to perform and be happy. And be nice! How can these things affect your moods so much? This is my current quest. My library searches will hopefully yield some concrete answers. I'll probably figure it out by the time I'm 70. And then being grumpy will be acceptable anyway, right. :)

6 comments:

Lisa said...

Hi Bethany,

I'm totally with you on the sugar-thing. I can see very clearly how sugar affects my own moods. (2 p.m. sugar = 3 p.m. enhaustion and despondency) I've also been observing how it affects/controls the moods of my nieces and nephews. I can think of at least three occasions off the top of my head where one of these otherwise very charming children was turned into a crying, fussing, fighting demonchild about 30 minutes after a big sugar intake (usually thanks to Grandma's 'treats').

The worst was back when I used to fly a lot for work. I would regularly watch moms at the waiting gate let their little kids take sips of their frozen Starbucks coffee drink right before getting on the plane. In my head I'd be screaming, ARGH! No! Please don't give your kid sugar AND caffeine before strapping him into a seat for four hours! I should have asked for hazard pay.

The tricky thing about avoiding sugar is discovering how many places it is hidden. Have you tried buying bread without added sugar or high fructose corn syrup? Nearly impossible. I think we found one or two brands at Trader Joe's or Whole Foods and once at a Safeway. It's really insidious.

kimbo said...

I'm so glad you posted this. My kids live off of sugar - literally! I know it affects them (and me). You've motivated me to be a better mom and cut out most of the sugar. (Kind of difficult when your husband prefers the sugar cereal!)

Meridy said...

Totally agree with you about the sleep thing! I NEED my sleep. Lack of sleep effects my emotions and personality also. I have more self esteem when I get enough sleep. Less anxiety. But if you take Nate, sleep has very little effect on his personality. He doesn't need it has much as we do. He can survive longer without it, AND it doesn't affect his cheery disposition. Why is that?

Megan B ♥ said...

That school breakfast thing was HORRIFYING. I'm mad at them. And every other school like them (all of them)

Cassidy said...

I am a total sugar freak and I probably would love that school breakfast!(ha ha) but am a little more cautious with how much sugar I allow my kids to have. I know a double standared right?! I know I do horrible without at least 7 hours of sleep and I to am curious to know how food and if it effects your mood.

Hilary said...

Hmm, very interesting. Being a sugar lover (actually, Jeromy says I have sweet teeth, not just one) it's hard to give that up. But the more I exercise etc. the less I want sugar and junk food. And the more sleep I get, the more I'll want to work out. It is a very interesting cycle, but a difficult one to conquer.

So, what have you been reading? This all sounds so fascinating!