Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Double Thanksgiving Recap

Thanksgiving this year was doubly delicious. Why's that? Because we had two Thanksgiving dinners. Yes, two. You won't be so jealous when I explain why. Calvin did not get Thanksgiving Day off. Trucking is a fierce industry, to say the least. He runs a dedicated route back east, and is also a trainer- both of which make him impossible to replace. It goes without saying that at work and at home, he's irreplaceable.

So to make the best of it, we distracted ourselves by accepting 2 dinner invitations. The first dinner was with the Les Clawson gang in West Jordan. Les is my dad's brother (my dad passed away 10 years ago). He has 10 really cool kids and they all have kids of their own. Dinner was in the RS Room at the church. It was awesome! My kids had a ball running around the cultural hall with other kids, while I visited with cousins. My brother Stephen came with me. It was very kind of them to invite us and I really enjoyed visiting with them. (my hands were too full to take pictures!)

Then we headed off to Provo for round two, where some of Cal's family was gathering. This dinner was completely opposite of the first, as my kids were the only little guys present. It was more formal, and we caught the tail end so I wouldn't have to force my kids to sit and be so polite. :) We stayed the afternoon there, playing the Wii and having a great time. There are advantages to being the only kids sometimes. You get all the kid attention! Dallin was being especially funny.He's recently learned to fold his arms for the prayer. Cute!


Cal and I each have 10 siblings in our families...which makes for lots of really awesome aunts and uncles!!! Really, aunts and uncles are the best!


I saved a heaping plate of Thanksgiving dinner for Cal, and we picked him up on our way home that night. I wish he could have been with us for dinner, but seriously? I'm grateful for so many things, I hardly have room to complain.

Friday we had Cal's family over for pizza and hanging out. It was so fun to see everyone!

Saturday my family came over for pie and 'Elf.' (What's Christmas without Elf?) Cal's brother John and his wife Sierra were staying with us, and on Sat they watched Dallin for me so I could go see Twilight. I have my critiques, but overall I enjoyed the movie, and I especially enjoyed sitting in one place for 2 hours. My backside was even a little sore during the credits. I rarely sit for that long!

Sunday Cal was home again and we were able to enjoy some calmer family time together. We were sad John and Sierra had to leave. We miss you guys! Later we were able to pull out the Christmas tree and had a great time putting up decorations. I love white Christmas lights on my tree, but this year I was outvoted 4-1 in favor of the colored lights. (Dallin's vote was determined by the number of 'ooohs' he said in one minute for both types). Had I not been feeling a little weathered, I'd have fought for the white lights. Alas, 2 strings of white lights were broken, and I didn't put up a fight. At least I have 4 happy boys! With Dallin attacking the tree every few minutes, I'd kind of given up the 'gorgeous tree' idea anyway this year. (Which is good, because every 5 minutes Spencer puts on another 'homemade' ornament he's whipped up with string, markers and tape. It's so funny!) Maybe next year...

So though it wasn't the most 'ideal' Thanksgiving ever, we had some great times. And I am grateful for so many things.

I am grateful I have a wonderful relationship with my husband. And when I get cranky about not having him around, I remember the wives that don't see their husbands for 6 months or longer while they are on tour in Iraq- oh and they have a baby while he's gone too. And I am also grateful that though we are apart, we can communicate with each other! I am used to living without him day to day, but if our communication were suddenly cut off (or if he died), the silence would be unbearable! I'm sure our mobile-to-mobile minutes are putting our cell phone company out of business!

I'm grateful for friends and family, extended and immediate. I'm grateful for the freedom I enjoy in this country, and that though things are not as prosperous as they once were, we still have more than the majority of the world. I'm grateful to have so much family, I couldn't spend Thanksgiving alone if I wanted to! I'm grateful for triple chocolate pie, stuffing, sweet potatoes, and the occasional pumpkin pie. I'm grateful I wasn't at Wal-mart in NY on Black Friday, and I'm very grateful for cheap gas. :)

2 comments:

elopingcamel said...

We miss you guys and thanks again for letting us stay with you. We had a wonderful wonderful time.

Hilary said...

So glad to hear you had a wonderful weekend. Isn't family the best? Ooh, and I love your new background. Uber cute.