Friday, January 16, 2009

Be Brave at the Dentist!

I know I'm way behind on posting. I haven't even posted Christmas yet! Instead of waiting to be all caught up to post new stuff, here's what happened yesterday...

Spencer went to the dentist yesterday to get a filling done. He has terrible teeth- thanks to a bad draw of genetics. The enamel never fully formed before he was even born so he's been to the dentist lots of times. At age 3 he had special silver caps put on all his molars (he's quite proud of his 'pirate' teeth- just ask him to show you!). Anyway, he is not a stranger to dentists.

Today, however, after they numbed his mouth he completely freaked out! I heard him screaming from the waiting room so I came running in. He was sobbing and was absolutely inconsolable. He had 5 min left in the procedure, and he was not letting anyone touch him- not even me!

I reasoned, I comforted, I threatened... nothing worked! Neither the staff or I knew what he was freaking out about. He simply would NOT continue. The dentist finally moved on to other patients and in my last ditch effort I told Spencer he could call his Dad for comfort, but then we were going to finish the procedure. (At least that's what I was hoping!!)

I get Cal on the phone, who happened to be at home on his day off. I explained the situation and put him on with Spencer. I could hear Cal talking, but I couldn't hear what he said. Spencer sat on the dentist chair, and with gigantic tears rolling down his face, he listened to Cal. Every once in awhile I'd see him nod his head. 5 minutes later Spencer got off the phone and said he was ready. They gave him a little laughing gas (just to be sure) and when the dentist came back he found a very relaxed, very silly boy ready for a filling. The dentist was shocked at the difference, and he said, "Spencer, please tell me what your dad told you! I'd really like to know for the future!" The dentist was I think waiting to hear something extremely profound. Did he bribe him? Did he scold him? Did he lecture him?

Spencer simply said, "He told me to be brave." The dentist looked a bit disappointed and said, "That's funny. I thought I heard your mom tell you the same thing!" And I did! Like 50 times! Why does it mean so much more coming from 'dad?' There is something really special about that relationship. I knew if he talked to Cal there would actually be a chance that Spencer would give in. He's like putty in his dad's hands! Who knows. All I know is that I'm grateful for reassuring dads and for cell phones!

(And secretly wondering how I can get a headset for my kids so they can have their dad on the phone while I'm at the store, cooking dinner...think of the possibilities! Or maybe I could just figure out how to actually get my kids to listen so intensely to me. I don't know, but having them call their dad is a really nice back-up plan). :)

6 comments:

janel said...

That's really sweet. We just had a pediatric dentist appointment where the dentist got paid big bucks to count the girls teeth and hand out prizes. That's all they would allow. Is Calvin for hire? : )

Nielson said...

That's so sweet! Yes, Bridger loves all attention from his dad too--and he takes his words to heart. I guess I just talk too much... :) Well, at least I'm the one he wants when he gets hurt!

Meridy said...

Poor Spencer!

Gotta love those Dads. :) It's gotta be that male thing.

janet said...

LOVE this post. Dads really are the best aren't they?

Way to be brave, Spence!

ps. I love all the new pictures on the side. Your boys are so handsome! Dallin is so grown up!

Shelley said...

That is precious! Your boys are really adorable, by the way!

Megan B ♥ said...

That's an awesome story!