Sunday, January 25, 2009

Christmas Memories

I could skip the Christmas post all together and move on, but this is also sort of a family journal and I had to document our 'different' Christmas...

We had a wonderful Christmas this year. It was full of twists and surprises, but we sure did have fun together. Cal did not get the holidays off (don't get me started), so we began planning a 'fake' Christmas for the Sunday before. We wrote letters to Santa, petitioning him to 'please bring Christmas when our daddy would be home'. Sure enough, on Sunday Dec 21st, the kids woke up and Santa had come! Santa brought a Wii! I thought it was a great winter present to entertain little boys during the long winter months. (Not to mention Cal and I like to play too). Great thinking Santa!

We had such a blast. For all intents and purposes, it was Christmas Day. We had hot chocolate, our breakfast tradition of caramel french toast, Christmas dinner, pie, sparkling cider... indeed it WAS Christmas. Since it was Sunday, we did pause our celebrations to attend Church. I quite enjoyed watching people's reactions when my kids would say, "Santa came last night and brought us presents!" They were like, "man those Cory kids tell some tall tales!" Sometimes we'd explain it and sometimes we just let people nod and smile politely. It was kind of funny. But it really DID feel like Christmas! By the time the day was over, Cal said, "Man, I feel like I've had Christmas all right!" Success!

Then he went back to his truck, and we prepared to head to Las Vegas for what was technically Christmas. (I really wanted to be somewhere 'else' on Christmas so we would be distracted that we weren't all together for the holiday). Wouldn't you know, when I was all loaded and ready to go- pulling out of the driveway with all 3 kids buckled nicely in their seats- each with a snack, drink and snuggly friend... the car's gears jammed! Yes, I could not get out of my driveway. Some very kind neighbors came over to see if they could help, and eventually we all agreed that the transmission looked shot.

Meanwhile, I'm trying not to burst out crying. "What do you mean I can't leave town?!" A very big snow storm was due any hour, and I was determined not to get snowed in ALONE for the holidays. Luckily, I was caravaning down to Vegas with my bro and sis-in law, Jared and Jesse, and they came over to assess the situation (and keep me from breaking into tears). We had the car towed, but there wasn't even time to rent a car. If we were going to leave, we had to leave right then or we'd get stuck in the storm- and I did not want to be in a car alone with 3 kids in a storm!

But Jared and Jesse saved the day! They ran home and got their extra car, and we loaded it with car seats and stuff. It was a 2 door, so I don't even know how we fit everything in there in such a short time. But we did it! Within an hour or so we were on our way to Vegas, watching the snow storm fade in the distance in our rear view mirror.

Isn't that crazy?! And by the way, the transmission was NOT shot. It was just 'sticky' and needed a flush, but because we couldn't get the car to a level area (too much snow), the gears wouldn't catch. Phew. I was grateful since I didn't think Santa had any spare transmissions lying around his workshop this year!

We had a wonderful time in Vegas. Being with Cal's family (and visiting old friends from when we lived there) was so fun. All 3 kids got a short bug flu, so we had to cancel a lot of our play dates. ;( But we sure did enjoy being with family. My kids LOVE their aunts and uncles and grandma and grandpa- cousins, etc. It was pure heaven to them and since they'd already had the real Christmas, the 25th was just a major bonus of presents from mom and dad, grandparents, etc. They totally thought they scored getting two Christmases- and I wasn't alone in our own home feeling lonely without Cal. Mission accomplished!

I went to Vegas because Cal's route goes through there and he was going to take his time off on the 26th with us there. HOWEVER... (I know, what could happen now?) on Christmas Eve Cal called to inform me that they had canceled the second part of his route. Yippee, right? Extra time off! Well yes, except that the second part of his route is what takes him through Las Vegas. So on the 26th Cal was in SLC, and I was in Las Vegas!!!! You know, you can only plan life so well. What are the chances?! They've never canceled his route before so we had no idea this would happen. I thought about driving back Christmas afternoon, but the storms in UT were so bad I didn't dare attempt it. We made the best of it, had a great time with family, and came back up on Saturday morning. Oh the irony! It's funny now...

So finally, here are a few pictures of our several Christmases. I'm not putting them in any order...
Santa brought outer space-themed pjs and they love them. Thank you Costco! (I was secretly relieved to find something OTHER than superheros for them to be excited about).

Chrtstmas #1- playing the Wii together


Christmas Eve at the Farrington's with the Cory Family.


Grandma Larainne and Dallin

Christmas morning #2 in Las Vegas



Opening presents...ooooohhh!

Awesome Aunt Jennie and Uncle Jonnie!

Cuddling with Aunt Rachel


Uh, 'cuddling' with cousin Jack. :)


Sneaking leftover Christmas candy for breakfast.



Aunt Jennie took these two photos of Grand and Dal in Jonnie's hat. Aren't they cute?!

5 comments:

Naoma said...

"Santa" brought those same P.j.s to Tommy for Christmas too, he LOVES them! Glad that you had a good christmas and made it to Vegas still!

Nielson said...

You're stronger than me! I would have burst into tears a long time ago :) I am glad you guys made it to Vegas safely--but what rotten timing! That stinks that his route was canceled--oh, well--makes for a memorable Christmas!

Jenna said...

Hey, the address I have came back to me. Do you mind sending you current one again? Looks like despite the setbacks, Christmas good. :-)

Meridy said...

I'm glad everything worked out well in the end!

Great idea to have Christmas early!

Erica said...

This may not have been your ideal Christmas set-up, but being the drama queen that I can be at times I have to say, this makes GREAT material for a story!