Once Dallin goes to bed, I'll lie down on Grant's bottom bunk and read another chapter out of 'The BFG,' 'The Great Brain,' and other fun books. (One time Grant was trying to lie next to me and he said, 'Mom, you take up my whole bed!' Thanks kiddo.) Anyway, they have LOVED it and would have me read every night- but sometimes it's too late, I'm too tired, or they just took way too long to get ready for bed. Other nights I just want to veg out myself- watch a movie or whatever. Or I just need a break from the kids and don't want to read! Naughty. Still, we had a good time when we do it. I remember my mom reading lots, and lots, and lots of chapter books to us and I loved it!
Spence has always liked to read, but he recently started reading 'Harry Potter' and is officially obsessed! He read the first book in less than a week. I'd catch him staying up late reading, or when I'd go in to wake him up for school- he'd be awake reading Harry Potter. After he finishes each book, we get to watch the movies. Watching the first movie was like Christmas to him! I'd have read Harry Potter to them, but a few chapters a week was clearly not enough for Spencer! At his parent teacher conference his teacher said he's been finishing his work too fast and sloppy so he can read. I thought that was pretty funny. She made him promise to check his work 3x before he pulls out his books. I decided Harry Potter would have to stay home so as not to distract him. Spence is a kid after my own heart.


This is Spence and Dal during reading time. Look how many books are on Spencer's bed! He's such a little pack rat. And Dal is looking at a skeleton book. I swear 90% of the books we check out at the library are non-fiction- rocks, dinosaurs, the human body, astronomy, etc. I think that's why I started reading chapter books to them- to get away from the non-fiction reading that just isn't as fun to me after awhile! :)
Grant loves reading too, mostly the non-fiction. He likes to learn about how and why things work. When I read to them, it looks like he's not really listening 'cause he's studying another book, but I'm surprised at how much he is hearing of the story and how he doesn't want me to stop.

Silly, silly boys! Here they are giving 'horse bites' that my dad used to do to us. Anyone in my family remember those?! They tickle/hurt at the same time and for some reason they love to do it to each other.
All in all, I am very glad for my reading time with the boys. All the other busy things get set aside and you get lost in another world together. It kind of makes up for all the crazy (or naughty) things that happened during the day. My sister gave my mom a quote that I have now that says:
"You may have tangible wealth untold; caskets of jewels and coffers of gold. Richer than I you can ever be-- I had a mother who read to me." - by Strickland W. Gillan
I totally believe it! I don't know what will happen to our routine once Baby Boy Cory #4 is born. By the way- 2 1/2 weeks to go!! Are we there yet?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?


5 comments:
You are a great mom. I am inspired to do more with my kids reading-wise and creatively! Yours are going to have very happy childhoods to base their lives on.
horse bites = HURT not tickle!!! I think Dad thought they tickled but I never thought so ;)
Danielle- I have misled you if you think my mothering skills are so great! I only hope the good times even out the scarring I've done to them. My sister Tears says, "It's not IF you scar them, its how MUCH." Ha ha.
Sarah- I remember the horse bite hurting too! Which is why, of course, the horse bite at our house is more of a 'tickle grip' on the upper thigh that makes you scream and less like the real deal. He he.
Great quote about mothers that read. We recently switched our "movie night" to reading and games night, which the kids love more, which surprised me!
My mom used to take me to the library all the time when I was little and we'd check out any and every book I could find that looked interesting to me. Usually it was stuff about animals or weapons, but plenty of stories as well. It is one of my strongest memories of my mom and one of my favorite things about growing up. I still go to the library about once a week, so this stuff may surprise you with how much it sticks with your children.
Post a Comment