Sunday, August 29, 2010

Well, I promised a friend I would post something tonight no matter what, so here it goes.

We moved to FL and have been here for a few weeks. It is VERY different here! It is green and humid, it rains every afternoon, and has interesting animal life. Since we've been here, we've seen a gazillion lizards, a few bats at night, a black snake on our driveway, tiny frogs, a rat (that was at the school the kids were originally supposed to go to-- shudder), and 4-5 dolphins swimming near the shore at the beach. Wow! This ain't UT folks! I was so freaked out about seeing a rat at the elementary school (on the sidewalk in the courtyard in the middle of the school), I asked my neighbor if that was 'normal.' She said they are citrus rats that live in the trees and eat the fruit and she's only seen 2 in 10 yrs. "But don't worry. The black snakes eat the rats." I feel better already?

We moved into a rental house the school owns. We didn't get to see the inside before we moved in, so I was very anxious. The school emailed us a 3 choices with 15 yr-old photos of the outside and the floor plans. We had to pick without a lot to go on. It is amazing what you can see on google maps though! That helped. We were 1st on the housing list because we 'had the most kids.' The school is fairly family friendly, and it is good to know we are #1 in something so far, ha ha.

The day we moved in I was very nervous. This entire area was built up at least 50 yrs ago, so all the houses are small and old and one level. Most have been renovated, some have not. I was relieved that the house was in good standing. It has lots of quirks and old house charm. I miss things like being able to turn off a light from both sides of the room and outlets in convenient places. The closets and cupboards all smell musty like a grandma's house. But it is clean and well kept and overall I am not disappointed. This is the outside:

This is the view down our street. I love how the trees form a tent over us. It is quite common.


I was surprised however, to find that the bathroom between the two boys' rooms looks like this!

I don't think they got the memo that we are a family with 4 BOYS!!! Ha ha. I was so shocked. It's PINK! Great. My boys get to spend the next 3 years in a bathroom with the colors of Victoria's Secret. I am looking for a way to make it more manly while embracing what can't be changed. Any ideas?! The prize if I pick your idea? We watch your kids while you go on a cruise! I'm not kidding. (Cruise not included). Please help!


We've been busy settling into our new life here. Last week we visited St. Petersburg (10 min away) and took these pics from the car.


We went to a beach we hadn't been to yet. Yes, those are my kids in the picture. What can I say? With the pink bathroom comes beautiful pink sunsets.


Evan has never seen so much water! He just turned 5 months and is so squishy and chubby and cuddly. Last week at least 4 strangers told me he looked just like the Gerber baby.


And of course, the reason we are here... Cal started law school this week. I couldn't resist taking a 1st day of school against the garage door picture. Tradition.

What a journey it has been. From deciding to go back to school- including taking the LSAT and applying- to receiving his first acceptance letter was 5 months! Nuts! But it is so totally right and the sea literally parted a way for us to get here. Many, many miracles got us here. It was a lot of work moving a family of 6 across the country to go back to school. We aren't exactly young spry. But this is exactly where we need to be. Cal so far is absolutely loving school. I am so proud of him and know he will be a great student. He loves to learn. (The boys started school this week too. No doubt Dallin is confused and upset that everybody goes to school except for him!)

So that is a basic update of the Corys! I'm sure there will be many more interesting adventures to come.

7 comments:

Summer said...

I love it! The ocean picture at top is awesome and inspiring. Way to go go cal!

Nielson said...

What an adventure! I grew up in FL--my parents still live there. The beaches are amazing. I love the warm rain, the warm evenings and all the green! However, I don't miss the creatures :) Can't wait to hear more!

janel said...

Wow, Bethany! Way to take yet another leap of faith. You and Calvin are great examples of this. Good luck in everything. Especially with the rats.

Heather Rice said...

Wow! I am so excited for you guys! I enjoyed hearing about where you're at and how it is going. We keep taking it for granted when you're in Utah and we miss out on hanging out with you guys. Maybe we will have another chance after law school? Chris is getting his MBA right now and he is halfway done. I must say that it has been a lot easier and gone a lot faster than I thought it would! I'll keep thinking of ideas for the pink tile. Good luck and I miss you!
Heather

BandB Eyes said...

Good luck- We hope you love your time there! As far as what to do with the bathroom...well...you could always go with very vibrant fish decor....or a jungle bath curtain and bring in other vibrant colors??? Good luck!

Megan B ♥ said...

It's amazing how many trees there are. I forget that is actually common in most parts of the country!

LOL, nice fancy boys bathroom :) He DOES look just like a Gerber baby :)

It looks like you have moved to a beautiful area of the world and I'm so so so so happy for all of you.

Love and kisses!

Cairen said...

How exciting! Congratulations on all the thats being going on, getting in to law school and surviving such a major move. The greenery looks like heaven and I wish I could come there and enjoy the afternoon rain with you. Hope all continues to go well for you and your cute little family!