The next time he was at the store with his dad, they bought a bag of gum balls, for like $3. Spencer immediately set out to sell them. First his dad bought one for .25 cents, "Because if your own dad won't buy one, who will?" Spencer sold 20 gumballs in the first afternoon. To whom, you ask? All the neighborhood kids! Even some of the older ones! This is the neighborhood 'gang' that plays outside every day .

I had no idea when we moved here that there were even any KIDS on the street! Then again, it was the dead of summer at the time... when sane people hibernate inside. These 3 other families are the coolest, Christian families of various faiths and I love that my kids play with them.
At first the gum-selling was cute. But now that Grant has zero money left (he spent it all on gum from Spencer), and Spencer has a large bag full of money, things are getting a little crazy. When the ice cream truck comes around, Spencer pulls out his 'loaded' bag and buys an ice cream for $2. Of course, he does buy one for Grant too, which is thoughtful for a big brother. The ice cream lady gives him a free gum for buying. So what does Spencer do? He turns around and sells it to Grant! I'm pretty sure Grant owes him money by now.
Now that most of the gum is gone, Spencer has revised his money-making plan to other means. Like when Christopher came over with his $5 to buy a mini skateboard from Spence (worth about $.50 that he got at school for Valentine's day). And then his little brother showed up with his dad's $20 dollar bill looking for SOMETHING to buy. Spence was about to sell him 15 pellet gun remains when I caught him! I made him give it back. Poor kids! I had a little chat with the moms warning them to keep their kids' money on watch.
It's not that Spencer is greedy, he's just really caught on to this whole 'make a profit' thing. The crazy thing is that he actually understands that something is worth what somebody will pay. Christopher loves skateboards, so $5 isn't too high if he's wants it enough to buy it for that much. Crazy. This is what he told me last night.
"Mom, the only thing standing between me and a whole lot of money.....is a little red wagon. That's it. Then I'd sell things up and down the street in my wagon. Of course, I wouldn't want to make TOO much money, so I think I'll make Wednesdays free."
What in the world??!! I tell Calvin he's created a monster. He just laughs and says he wished he'd learned more about money when he was that young. Money does not grow on trees, but you sure can make a killing selling gumballs in our neighborhood. Want to buy any?
11 comments:
Are you KIDDING ME? That's HILARIOUS!! LOL! I'm totally dying, that little stinker!
What child thinks that way?! That is so hilarious. It reminds me of The Great Brain by John Fitzgerald, a really funny quick read book about a little boy who thinks just like Spencer! You should read it if you haven't, because I KNOW you will see your son in the boy in the book!
Maybe Calvin could get a job from Spencer, and peddle gumballs at rest stops and truck gas stations? : ) I
wonder what kind of a pay rate Spencer would put his Dad on. That kid is hilarious!
That is hillarous!! You have a salesman on your hands. He's got talent.
I'm glad you liked my "Let them eat crayons" post! I loved your slogans. :) "Let them play in the gutter!" I'll have to pass that on to my friend. :)
Go to the library today and get "Henry and Beezus" by Beverly Cleary. Spencer will TOTALLY relate to Henry's money-making schemes.
I loved this story about Spencer! What a smart kid! I didn't know Cal as a little boy, but I imagine that he would have been asking for a wagon too! Too fun.
I am so amazed and impressed and speechless all at the same time!!! He is so smart and inventive. Awesome post!
Man- I TOTALLY second the post about 'The Great Brain'!! That is EXACTLY what I thought of while reading this post. It's a must read for you guys.
That is too funny! Your kid is a genuis!-cassidy
Wow...I adore that kid. I never cease to be amazed. Too bad he didn't figure that trick out while he was still in the dorms.
he is a total genius.. seriously. wall street is calling his name.
Post a Comment