My dear hubbie is an artist. If you know him at all, you'll know that he is a walking creative...nut. :) I honestly don't know of anybody more talented. He paints, sings, dances (well sorta), writes, composes, sketches...you name it. For years we tried to break into the artistic world. It is not a very friendly world, especially if you have a family. We had many 'almost' deals with 'almost' contracts. There were also business start-ups and downs and everything in between. As a family, we have been through a lot.
For years I hated sending out Christmas cards because we were so different than everyone else. Everybody seemed to be moving forward and we were moving backwards. Last year, when I was pregnant with #3, I hit the wall. We needed stability. So Cal got a steady job and became a truck driver. Yeah, a truck driver. I laughed at first too. But it totally works for our family in so many ways. Now, a year later, stability has brought so much peace to our family!
It was a tough transition. We moved to Vegas with his parents while he was training. I was very pregnant (and it was VERY hot). Cal was gone for 3 weeks at a time. Those were hard times. The first week was fine. We'd stay busy. The second week started to drag, and by the third week, I could barely promise the kids would be alive when he got back! Luckily he has a local route now where he's gone Sun afternon until Friday morning. Weekends off is unusual as a trucker. Most days we do fine, but then others are...well, interesting. Bedtime is my weakest point. But on days that I want to feel sorry for myself, I remember what it was life before stability. And I also think of all the other wives who's husbands don't get home until 8 or 9pm anyway. And then they have to unwind and take care of stuff. I'm not the only mom who goes it mostly alone during the week, I know!
Recently Cal became a trainer for CR England. As in last week, when we were up in UT. We were hoping to get one of the good training routes eventually, but were totally shocked when they offered him one starting today! So it looks like we'll be moving to SLC in the summer. At first I thought we wouldn't see him until then, but it turns out the route goes right through Las Vegas, so he can take his home time here. 2x a week! Wow. Talk about perfect!
I have lots of thoughts and feelings after these years of struggles. I think I will share some of these thoughts more openly on my blog in the future mixed in with the funny things my kids say. I always appreciate hearing what others go through. I know we're different. We're not your typical family. Or maybe we are and just don't realize it. Either way, miracles happened when we put family first and started practicing principles of the gospel. I can in no way deny the direct connection to the changes in our life and our happiness when we chose family and God over career, fame, or anything else.
How is it that we have MORE family prayer (via the phone) when dad isn't even here all week? And that we are closer as a couple than ever before? (Ok, I could write an essay on that one! Another time, I guess.) Life is not perfect, but somehow I'm happier than ever before. I don't know what the future will bring in terms of filmmaking and such, but this has been a family-saving change for us. I'm so glad we were able to make it through the hard times. (There's another essay right there on how we actually made it through the hard times).
The boys talking to dad on the webcam AND playing online UNO with him at the same time. Brings new meaning to 'family game time'. We make use of modern technology, ie: cell phones and computers!

Grant riding his trike in front of the huge truck.


Have you ever seen a cuter truck driver??? I sure haven't. ;) 

7 comments:
This is such a great post! So inspiring! And you know, the more I learn about other families, the more I realize that there is no "normal". Either that, or weird IS the new normal. OR... it's just always been that way and no one told Ozzy and Harriet!
Bethany thanks for the update! I agree, I believe there is no "normal" either. Moving to Salt Lake, fun times ahead!
Bethany I am so excited for you guys. Josh and I need to get together with you guys before you move. Well we can somewhat relate Josh has been in school for almost 9 years not quite knowing what he was going to be doing until a year before pharmacy school and we have lived with his parents for 5 years sometimes never seeing and end. Though I can't relate to him going out of town. Josh's schedule for the last year has been leaving at 6-7am to coming home at 9:30pm at night. But we try to keep family into perspective. Will life ever be normal? What is that?! But I know we are all are blessed in many ways.
I love this post, thanks for sharing! Cal is very talented. And if you ever write those essays, I think they'd be awesome to read! We are so happy for the direction your lives are taking. It looks very positive, and we think you guys deserve the very best.
I know it shows that Josh posted once already, but that was really Cassidy in disguise. She's a ninja. This is the real Josh. I agree with Cassidy about the seeing you guys before you go thing. That was a great post, and it was uplifting to read. Thanks. You are not permitted to leave for Salt Lake until we have hung out.
Bethany I hope you don't mind but after enjoying the comments you've made to my blog I decided to find out if you had a blog. I can't believe how your family has grown since our days as Hall Advisors. Good luck with your move to SLC!
After a conversation with another friend last night, I was thinking about how life never turns out exactly how you thought it would. Remember how at 19 and 20 we thought that we would have no problem getting back to Spain in 10 years? HA!!! The thing I love about this post is that it shows how dedicated to your family and the gospel you and Cal are. I have NO doubt that there is a reason Cal is driving truck and that you guys will be very successful. I don't mean to go on and on, but Jed even agrees that you both are two of the most talented people we know! Here's to your move to SLC!
Post a Comment