Thursday, April 3, 2008

3 Rules to Happiness

I'm discovering that there are three important keys to my personal happiness. IE: without these I'm not gonna make it 'til 5 'o clock, baby!

1. A good night's rest

I do 10x as much in a day when I've gotten a good night's sleep. Late night hangovers turn me into an internal (and sometimes external) monster. Somehow I've got to force myself to sleep. I had one friend who after her 3rd baby was born went to bed EVERY night when her kids went to bed. I cherish my 'quiet' time way too much for that, but think of how great I would feel if I actually got to bed before 10pm consistently? Cal says he learned in one of his sleep training classes that 2 FULL night's sleep in a row will reset your internal sleep clock. I got a great sleep last night. Going for #2 tonight. Of course, in order to really get a good night's sleep I've got to go to bed early enough to compensate for several night wakings between all 3 kids. (Side note- last night I woke up about 5am feeling very cold. Apparently Grant had climbed in bed in the night...and WET THE BED! Yeah, it was all over me. Gross. Nothing like a 5am shower.)

2. Eating healthy

Carbs, carbs, and chocolate. Mmmm, mmm. And I wonder why I want to collapse at 3pm in the afternoon?! I love eating healthy, actually. I'm a total fruit and veggie lover. It's just that it takes time and prep. And let's face it. It's SO much easier to eat a bowl of mac and cheese than make something separate for myself...especially when I have failed to keep rule #1 and am already exhausted. These 'cheap' energy boosters don't last long and leave me feeling worse than before.

3. Exercise

Yeah. Not possible without #'s 1 and 2 already in order.

So...I'm going to start working on these 3 things one week at time and see if I notice any difference in my energy level, mood, etc. I'm almost certain that even taking some control of these 3 things will change my outlook on life.

Off to start rule #1 for the second night...

6 comments:

Megan B ♥ said...

Hmmm... explains SO MUCH about my mood :)

janel said...

You've inspired me with your all-too-true rules. Even the implicit one about keeping kids out of bed with you! Sage crawled in with us last night, and I lost at least an hour's worth of good sleep due to knees in my back! (At least it wasn't wet, though!)
PS--How does one exercise with three kids and no husband around?

Josh said...

I guarantee you will notice a difference. I've got the exersize part down, but still working on the better eating and sleeping bits. When I study or work all day, it's hard to just go to bed when I get home.

Meridy said...

Sounds like a good plan! I should follow it too!

Shelley said...

I absolutely agree on these, particularly #1 and 3. I generally eat pretty healthy, but chocolate cake never has done me wrong! My personal opinion is that these factors are big contributors to post partum depression. How many moms with a new baby do you know that actually sleep??? And consistently going without sleep will turn me into a wreck even without weird hormones.

janet said...

Amen sista! I couldn't have put it better. Eating right is my biggest problem. I sleep and exercise okay, but my eating habits really contribute to my feeling-yuckiness. Thanks for the great post!

ps and the wet bed sucks! I have experienced that before!