Friday, April 11, 2008

Pizza in the bath tub?


Why, do you ask, are my kids eating pizza in the bathtub?


Let's back up. Since Cal started his new route, he's actually been home LESS. For one reason or another, he's missed most of his 'extra' day off several weeks in a row. Then I heard yesterday that Cal was caught in a Nebraska snowstorm and might not make it back for home time this weekend. That did it. Momma's gonna snap.


So we spent a few hours yesterday playing hard at a park with some friends. They had a blast, but I'm exhausted. (What happened to the days when I could sit on a bench and watch them play? MUST my boys climb EVERYTHING in sight and enter EVERY dangerous water area?!) On the way home I grabbed a Little Caesar's pizza (oh that they'd had a drive through!) and decided to kill two birds with one stone and have dinner in the tub. The kids thought I was going crazy. They were so excited! Yeah, it's the little things. So within a matter of minutes they were fed, cleaned and ready for bed. Ahhh. Love these boys.
I'm sure most wives can relate. If hubby's supposed to be home in 5 days, and it takes 6 days...watch out. If he's supposed to get home that morning and is delayed 'til that evening...watch out. Heck, I'll bet most wives would say the same thing if hubby predicts to be home at 6pm and rolls in around 7pm. It's all about expectations, right?


Luckily he's coming home today after all. Phew! See? It was all about expectations.
No way, as I'm typing I just got 'the call.' That's the 'you can come get me in 15 minutes' call. Yeah! Time to untie the kids and let them out of the closet. Just kidding. :)
On a side note, usually it takes awhile to get Grant to put his shoes on to go somewhere. The other day I was trying to get him to take them OFF when we got home. It was so cute. He said, "No thanks, mom. I'm gonna leave them on so we can go pick up dad." (He must remember me hustling him to get his shoes on so we can get dad!). I kept trying to explain that it would be a day or two. He was so insistent. He wasn't sad and he wasn't mad. He was just content to wait until dad got home to take his shoes off.
He went to sleep wearing his shoes that night. :)

11 comments:

Jenna said...

SHUT UP!!!
I LOVE it!! I'm going to try it sometime for sure. I can't believe I haven't thought about this before. After all the efficiency I preach in my house. Geez!

Ashley said...

Oh man do I agree with you. There is very little that can get me madder than when I'm expecting the "I'm on my way home" call and instead get the "It's going to be a while call." Boy that makes me mad--and it happens all the time!!! Why do we get our hopes up? It's at those moments I have to keep repeating to myself, "I'm grateful he has a job," over and over and over and hopefully decompress by the time he does roll in. :) I'm not sure my kids would know how to act if I let them eat and bathe at the same time. They'd probably be thrilled!!!

Meridy said...

It IS TOTALLY about expectations! I hear ya! I get so irritated when Nate was supposed to be home at seven, and it is eight, and the kids are screaming. But if he would have told me eight instead of seven, it would be a different story. I would be irritated, but not quite so much at him in particular. ;) Love that you were bold and did pizza in the bathtub! You are so creative.

Ellie is just like Grant. So determinded.

Megan B ♥ said...

You know I understand! I'm exactly the same way. If I EXPECT him home at 8, it's fine. But if I expect him home at 7 and he comes HOME at 8... GRrrrrrrRRRr!!!

The shoe story it so sweet! I can't believe he slept in them, how adorable!

Eating in the tub... oh, yes. We actually haven't done that in a really long time. Since I quit my job, actually. MANY MANY bowls of oatmeal were shoveled into hungry mouths during morning bathtime before racing them out the door to your house! Multitask! And such a smaller mess to clean up :)

Erica said...

You are right on the mark with the expectation thing. Jed used to go into work occasionally on the weekends and recently it has turned into every Saturday. Because he had told me that this would probably have to be the case for a little while, while he tries to implement some things and get some other things going, I am so much better equipped to handle it.

Pizza in the tub....I LOVE IT!!!!

Amber Marcum said...

Cal, you got a dang smart wife...I think I'll start doing pizza in the tub too...they always need a bath after pizza! It was great seeing you guys at Christmas! Such adorable boys!

Anonymous said...

I have to laugh because we all have those moments!I catch myself skipping pages at bedtime story time sometimes to get them in bed quicker when I have rough days since Josh is never home in time to help me out.(not his fault)but 3 kids-no husband I would probably do alot more crazy things!

Summer said...

umm...oh Grant, what a kid. It has all been said and I agree with it all.

Josh said...

That is the most awesome thing I have ever seen. I wish my mom did that when I was a kid. I don't know how you mommas do what you do and don't go insane.

Shelley said...

What a great idea! I think it should be a weekly tradition! You have my respect - I don't know how I would get by all week without Jake.

Megan B ♥ said...

Tanner had meatballs, pasta roni, and peas in the tub this afternoon!!!