I take my kids to see spiders, snakes and reptiles. Gross, I know. Saturdays can be difficult without Cal around. Everybody's out with their family, playing, working in their yard... So I have to distract myself, and motivate myself as well. (Cleaning the house, leaving the house, having a great time with the kids, and coming back to a clean house just before bedtime... is an awesome reward!) This Sat we went to the Reptile Expo in SLC.
My sister (who teaches special education) commented to me once that it was ok to bribe/reward my kids once in awhile. They do the things you hope for them to do for the reward, but eventually they learn to do it because they want to. Anyway, this was their reward this week. Spence wasn't feeling well, but Grant got up close and personal with the slimy creatures.
"You're the sweetest creature I've ever seen. Someday, I'll earn enough money and come back for you. I have to earn enough to bribe my mom, so it may take a few years. Wait for me..."
Unfortunately, Spencer was not feeling so great, which was too bad, really. He LOVES reptiles right now. He wants to be the Crocodile Hunter for Halloween. Yes, he knows Steve Irwin is dead. He still loves to watch his old shows and can even do a pretty good Steve Irwin imitation. When we got home, Spence kept talking about the snakes and scorpions and frogs, so even though he wasn't feeling very well, he still managed to absorb something.
And that is how I bribed (I mean rewarded) my kids last week.
4 comments:
You are the coolest mom EVER!!! Just in case your boys haven't told you that, I thought I would. How fun. My boys would have LOVED this outing. I love how you are embracing Saturdays, even if it is not your ideal circumstance. Seriously, you are "creating" something great for your family (did you see Elder Uchtdorf's talk at the woman's broadcast?)!
Wooooooow.... you're great for taking them to any kind of fun adventure. But you are SUPER great for taking them to something so nasty!!!
Awesome!! How do you find out about things like that? I need to plan more things like that for our kids, way to go!!
You are an AWESOME mom!!! I wanna go there! You think my little girls would mind?
Post a Comment