Friday, April 24, 2009

An Outing in the Mountains

Last Saturday when Calvin was home we felt we were overdue for an outdoors adventure together. As we were discussing where to go, our friends the Michaelsons showed up at our door to return something. Turns out they were all loaded up headed to Payson Lakes for the afternoon and invited us to come along. What great timing! It was absolutely heavenly being out in nature. The boys had a blast roaming free, gathering sticks, throwing an innumerable number of rocks into the river, admiring the campfire and roasting hot dogs. I took a lot of pictures. I'll spare you the first picture of the outing- the one where Grant 'marks his territory' on the bridge into the water immediately upon arrival. Boys!

Dallin spent a very long time throwing rocks into the river. We wondered how long it would hold his attention...finally WE got bored (and tired of him almost falling into the water) and distracted him elsewhere!

"Almost there...just a little bit further."
Dangerous hiking.

Cal came up with a game called 'throw your rock into the hole into the stump in the river.' Again...hours! At least if felt like it. Time seems to stand still when you are in nature.
The menfolk admiring their fire.



Happy to be together.

Yes, I made the kids stop to pose for pictures. When they are older (and taller than me), I don't want to forget their cute boyish faces and personalities.


We had such a great time. I'd forgotten how much I love being outdoors in the mountains. Most days I'd pick a cabin in the mountains over the beach. (Granted I wouldn't turn down either offer). But there's something very peaceful and simple about being surrounded by mountains and trees and water. Ahhh, refreshing!

7 comments:

Sarah said...

how fun! and too funny about grant "marking his territory." why does that not surprise me?!

becca said...

I love reading what you are up to! The mountains are so refreshing and so calming for me too! Although I think I would always pick the beach over them for some reason! But we love to camp together and just get dirty and throw rocks and make fires! I love seeing the pictures too! Thanks for the insight into the life of the Cal and Bethany Cory family! Love you guys!

Nielson said...

That looks like so much fun--I LOVE the mountains and am so thankful that it's getting warmer! Those are such cute pictures of your boys too--and you and your hubby :)

Megan B ♥ said...

Beautiful pictures and it sounds like such a rejuvenating family adventure. I plan to be outside a lot more as a family this year. Something very healing and centering about nature.

The Kohler Family said...

Bethany, you crack me up! This summer you better be outside so you can come talk to me and make me laugh!! :)

Karen said...

Hi, I know that blogs are usually kept by the wife in the family (as is mine) but I knew Cal in high school and since I found your blog, just wanted to say Hi! Thanks, Karen Razy Condos

TearsaJoy said...

Beth, those pictures are so cute! I love reading your blog :-) I have to say that I will be very sad to soon be moving away from Virginia Beach ... now that my kids are older my friends and I head to the beach for a late afternoon of hanging out, all watching the kids together. My kids will play for hours and hours building cities and bridges in the sand. But mountains of Tennessee, here we come!