Friday, April 17, 2009

Spring Break

Spring break has been a blur. We've had colds, coughs, headaches (from getting rear ended), the pukes, both eye and ear infections. Yuck! I had no idea why Dallin was being so darn cranky. I knew his cold was bad, but I didn't think much of it until he woke up with his eyes crusted shut with goop. When I took him in, he had an ear infection! I felt so bad. I was once a supermom who was always on ear infection alert- 'cause Spencer and Grant both had them chronically until they got tubes. EVERY cold turned into an ear infection. It was such a nightmare. Grant was only 9 months when he got his tubes.

At Dallin's one year apt, it occurred to me that he had not had a single ear infection yet! He also didn't have reflux like my other kids did. What a difference that was! It was like night and day different. And what a blessing too since Cal was out of town constantly. (Wait a minute, he also has blond hair and blue eyes, unlike his brothers. Hmm. Who's kid is he?!) :)

So, spring break has been less than relaxing around here (and not quite so 'spring-y' either since it snowed!). But we don't care 'cause daddy's home for a few days! Yeah! It is heavenly to have somebody else put the kids to bed, like he's doing right now. If you get that often... be ashamed of yourself if you take that for granted! :) As well as the ability to leave the house to do late night shopping or exercising (I have to pay a sitter just to go to book club down the street!). Also be grateful if anyone helps with dishes after dinner, or even if they distract the kids while you clean up. Or if there is another person there to break up a fight or tend to a wounded child while you are in the middle of stirring something over the stove. Or if they can take a turn with a grumpy kid that has an ear infection, just to give you a few minutes of peace. I feel bad it wasn't more exciting for the kids, but its been a much needed (well deserved) spring break for me with Cal around, even with the unfortunate sicknesses.

5 comments:

Allison said...

So...if you're looking for an alternative to paid babysitters, give me a call (or email) and I'll come play with the boys when you have bookclub or want some time to do whatever. Starting in May I'll have a vehicle and far too much free time on my hands. Seriously.

The Kohler Family said...

Listen up neighbor!!!! I am only a phone call or a door knock away!

Summer said...

That sounds a little like my spring break! Except I have had to put the kids to bed more often than usual. You are a lucky gal. So sorry about sick kids, I am hoping everyone is now better in our house and we can come play again.

mindy said...

Your last paragraph describes what it's like to be a single mother for sure. And I only have one. I can't imagine how hard it is with three. Sorry!

Erica said...

I always think it is so ironic when we stay healthy in the winter and sick in the SPRING (we just got over hand, foot and mouth disease). There is something very wrong about that.

My hat is off to you for raising such sweet boys with Cal gone so much. You are both so loving and I am glad that he gives you the much needed break and help you deserve when he is home.