Thursday, June 18, 2009

Berries

We've had an explosion of strawberries from our garden! I can't take any real credit for them. They were already growing when we moved in last year. The boys have been trying to earn money so I offered to pay them a penny per strawberry they harvested. Calvin thought we should pay more, but already they found almost 200!


This is just the first round of picking. Don't they look delicious?! They taste so sweet. Much better than store bought.


They had a few neighbor kids helping them pick the berries. Look how excited they were! Only later did I realize that 4 excited boys picking berries (at a penny each) would result in a stomped berry patch! You do have to make a walkway to get to the middle ones, but they ALL walked through them. Oops. Hopefully we'll still get another round out of the season.


The berries were so ripe we had to use them all in one day! So I made strawberry freezer jam for the first time ever. It is so delicious! Even I will eat a PB&J sandwich with this jam on it! I don't know how the rest of the garden will do- the one I planted. We were a little behind schedule, so we'll see if anything turns out. It's so cool to eat something you've watched grow!

7 comments:

Naoma said...

Those berries look delicious! So does the Jam!

janel said...

I am right with you there on the PB sandwich thing--only with freezer jam!

Josh said...

Mmm... strawberry freezer jam...

Summer said...

I does taste great! They are beautiful.

Lempskies said...

Yummm. I was excited about the 1 red berry we have so far, but you have a bumper crop!
BTW, I'm happy for you to have Cal working from home. We get to have that & I ABSOLUTELY LOVE it! It's so convenient to head out to wait for the bus without waking the baby sleeping in the swing, for instance.

Amy said...

Love reading about your boys! We went private with our blog, email me your email and I will invite you. Amymc2368@sbcglobal.net

Megan B ♥ said...

MMmmMMMmmMMMmm..... Yummers...