Spencer wasn't going to have a b-day part this year (we're doing every other year or so) but the poor guy missed out on Halloween, this birthday, and his baptism -- all on account of the swine flu! He was a good sport, so we promised to make it up to him by having a small party.
I wasn't feeling up to much, so Cal took over. I made the invitations and the cake. That's it! (Last year I threw his party by myself when Cal was over the road, so I deserved to sit back on this one, he he).
The theme was 'Army.' I must admit, it turned out awesome! All the boys came dressed in chamo and Cal started with 'Basic Training' and then had them complete different missions. Cal has one of the most creative minds. He had their attention the entire time! I was amazed watching him lead all these boys. They were so excited.
This was serious business! Here they are receiving their 'orders' for the day.


They did some physical training...



This is my favorite photo. Look how happy our friend Huey is! :)


Once they passed the physical training, they moved on to challenging the mind. It started with a group game of Battleship with two teams. (Who knew you could have a whole group play battleship?!)

Look at the intensity! Each kid had a ship to watch over. If their ship sank, they were out and their team kept going.
Then came their favorite game. Several years ago Spence got some army men for Christmas (from the dollar store I think). Cal wanted to play an army strategy game with Spence, so he began making up his own game. Just this last month, he finalized the rules, printed them, and printed a game board to play on. He and Spence and Grant spent hours trying it out! It's a combination of Risk, Stratego, and a couple of other games. Anyway, each kid had an army man they were in charge of and their mission was to attack Cal's guys. When they attacked, they rolled a die- even number meant they got a hit, odd meant they'd been hit. They played the simplified version, but they LOVED it! They beat Cal with several guys left standing and were VERY proud as a group (even though most of it was chance).
Once they had completed that mission, they were now qualified to move on to the most difficult mission yet-- entering the caves ( our basement) to retrieve the stolen secret plans from the enemy. Now they were going ballistic! Cal brought out the four nerf guns he'd purchased for the party. He had them stored in a silver brief case and it was very official looking. Then he arranged groups of 3 to go down the 'tunnel' to retrieve the plans without being hit (more than 3x) by the enemy (Cal). He had turned his smoke machine on to create a foggy, mystic affect and they took turns trying to attack him. At that point, everything went crazy with nerf bullets flying everywhere! I only got one picture...

This is where they released all their pent up excitement and energy. This group of 3 is figuring out how to get down the tunnel without getting shot.
They played with the nerf guns for about 30 minutes and could have gone longer, but it was time for cake.

This is really my only contribution to the party- an ice cream cake. Spence added army men to the top.
After the party, I couldn't help but think that maybe it is fitting that we will be a family of 4 boys! The kids and Cal (and sometimes even me) have been playing nerf guns every day since. They could play for hours! Even Dal (who was napping during the party) can shoot a nerf gun and say, "Fweeze! I got you!" We are surely a house full of boys.
What cracked me up today is that our friend Huey came over to play, and he asked if "Mr. Cory" was home. I told him he was, but he was working. Huey said disappointed, "Oh. I was wanting to tell him I was 'reporting for duty.' That was a really fun party." I was laughing inside. He might as well have said, "Can Mr. Cory come out and play today?" It wouldn't be the first time that has been requested before.
Here's to a super cool, super creative, super young-at-heart father of soon to be 4 boys. I think I chose well. :)
Happy Birthday Spence! It just goes to show that sometimes creativity is better than spending a lot of money!!! And did I mention that I didn't have to do much but supervise at the party?! Way cool.



This is my favorite photo. Look how happy our friend Huey is! :)


Once they passed the physical training, they moved on to challenging the mind. It started with a group game of Battleship with two teams. (Who knew you could have a whole group play battleship?!)

Look at the intensity! Each kid had a ship to watch over. If their ship sank, they were out and their team kept going.Then came their favorite game. Several years ago Spence got some army men for Christmas (from the dollar store I think). Cal wanted to play an army strategy game with Spence, so he began making up his own game. Just this last month, he finalized the rules, printed them, and printed a game board to play on. He and Spence and Grant spent hours trying it out! It's a combination of Risk, Stratego, and a couple of other games. Anyway, each kid had an army man they were in charge of and their mission was to attack Cal's guys. When they attacked, they rolled a die- even number meant they got a hit, odd meant they'd been hit. They played the simplified version, but they LOVED it! They beat Cal with several guys left standing and were VERY proud as a group (even though most of it was chance).
Once they had completed that mission, they were now qualified to move on to the most difficult mission yet-- entering the caves ( our basement) to retrieve the stolen secret plans from the enemy. Now they were going ballistic! Cal brought out the four nerf guns he'd purchased for the party. He had them stored in a silver brief case and it was very official looking. Then he arranged groups of 3 to go down the 'tunnel' to retrieve the plans without being hit (more than 3x) by the enemy (Cal). He had turned his smoke machine on to create a foggy, mystic affect and they took turns trying to attack him. At that point, everything went crazy with nerf bullets flying everywhere! I only got one picture...
This is where they released all their pent up excitement and energy. This group of 3 is figuring out how to get down the tunnel without getting shot.
They played with the nerf guns for about 30 minutes and could have gone longer, but it was time for cake.

This is really my only contribution to the party- an ice cream cake. Spence added army men to the top.
After the party, I couldn't help but think that maybe it is fitting that we will be a family of 4 boys! The kids and Cal (and sometimes even me) have been playing nerf guns every day since. They could play for hours! Even Dal (who was napping during the party) can shoot a nerf gun and say, "Fweeze! I got you!" We are surely a house full of boys.
What cracked me up today is that our friend Huey came over to play, and he asked if "Mr. Cory" was home. I told him he was, but he was working. Huey said disappointed, "Oh. I was wanting to tell him I was 'reporting for duty.' That was a really fun party." I was laughing inside. He might as well have said, "Can Mr. Cory come out and play today?" It wouldn't be the first time that has been requested before.
Here's to a super cool, super creative, super young-at-heart father of soon to be 4 boys. I think I chose well. :)
Happy Birthday Spence! It just goes to show that sometimes creativity is better than spending a lot of money!!! And did I mention that I didn't have to do much but supervise at the party?! Way cool.
8 comments:
I don't think you got four boys just by chance, or that amazing Mr. Cory!
I hope that Cal is bringing his army game down with him. I'm excited to try that bad mother out.
That party sounds awesome! I'm going to have to remember it for when Will is a few years older.
My boys would have LOVED this party!
Somewhere along the line I missed that you were pregnant!!! Congratulations! You know how I love little boys. :) What a lucky family.
totally awesome! Wish we would have been invited :) hope you're feeling well.
I love it! You guys do the best parties! I miss you!
This is such a great idea! I have a little guy that loves this kind of stuff. Happy birthday to Spencer!
Ah, man! That sounds so fun! I love the pictures :) I think it's cute that you can tell that Spence is looking at Cal with such admiration: one of those "I have the coolest dad ever" gazes :) Thanks for letting us play with the nerf guns when we were up there--that was so fun! I hope we get to see you guys again soon. I love you guys!
Post a Comment