Thursday, December 3, 2009

Report on Kid Games

So Santa had me do some research for him and these are the kid games I am hoping he'll consider this year. Obviously they will not all be coming down the chimney this Christmas, but while I was looking into it, I figured I'd make my wish list for future b-days or holidays...

Blokus- (around $20)- I hear it is a great strategy game that is fun for adults and kids. That's what I'm looking for, something I'll enjoy playing WITH them, and also that is challenging and makes you think. I think this is one they won't outgrow for awhile and it has great reviews.

Apples to Apples Jr.- ($20)- I love Apples to Apples and think it would be so fun to play with the whole family! Always good for laughs. The words are simplier- I'm sure we'll get some good reading and word defining in there while playing.

Bop It- Annoying, repetitive, but for some reason, kids REALLY like to try and beat this game. Whatever holds their attention, right? Spence tried once at the dentist and he would not put it down. I think Bop It will confined to the basement if Santa decides to bring that one.

Wild Planet Hyperdash ($30)- This game won some kind of creative kids game award and has great reviews! I was looking for a physical activity my boys could do inside during the winter and this is perfect! I can't wait to watch them run their energy out with this one. What a great idea for active inside fun.

Snap Circuits ($30+)- My sister recommended this for boys interested in creating and inventing. My kids take apart old toys (and sometimes not old toys) to see what the motor looks like and try to hook it up to other broken toy parts. This set allows you to invent and be creative with working parts on a board. Cool! My sisters boys have been playing with them for 5 years now (the Jr. 100 version) and is ready to upgrade to the 300 version.

Clue Jr. ($35)- Calvin loves Clue and I thought a Jr. version might be fun for the boys. I hear this is a really fun game, but the price is kind of high for a game. We'll see about this one.


Guess Who? ($15-30)- There is a new version of this game that has 6 different sheets of characters you can trade out to play different versions. I like that. I just have fond memories of playing Guess Who growing up!

Pit ($13)- Pit is a fun card game that kids can play. It's fun to hear everyone trying to trade at the same time, and I think playing with kids would be even funnier!

Now I was able to find most all of these on sale or on amazon for 40-60% off (except for Clue, which it will probably get left out). Why pay full price?! Maybe you'll enjoy some of these games too. I'm looking forward to playing games with my kids. We were big game players growing up and I'm ready to keep that tradition going. Besides, it's great family fun- throw in some treats and I'm in heaven. :) This year Santa will not be bringing any video games- he's thinking our family could use some fun, interactive games to keep us entertained this winter. Party on!

(We got Jam Pack Jam for Christmas 2 yrs ago and LOVED it, FYI. Very clever game.)

5 comments:

janet said...

I guess I didn't comment on the earlier post, but I meant to. My boys are really into card games lately. Speed, war, Uno and their all time favorite SKIPBO. Do you remember playing that with Roma? It's fun and all they need to know is how to count.

We also love Sorry and Clue. One of our fave board games is called Whoonu and it's great- for adults and kids, but you have to know how to read.

Anyway, good luck, Santa. great post.

Lempskies said...

Cal-
we switched our cell ph.# to have our hm # when we dropped our land line. sorry about that. Troy will call you soon.
Great army party! Sounds so fun. When we were growing up, my Dad had a side rubberband gun business & about once a year, we'd have a rubberband war in the basement w/ all the neighborhood kids. Always a great time. We never had a smoke machine, though. How fun!
Oh, and we recommend you add "Ticket to Ride" to the game list. Our 6yr. old loves it b/c it's about trains, but it's so fun for adults too.
Good luck w/ the new baby!

The North Family said...

We have Blockus and love it. It's like tetris in board game form, so you can't go wrong with that. I like Ticket to Ride, too. There is an American and European version. The American would be easier with the kids, but they are both fun. I can never seem to win that game, though. We like Rummikub, too. Luke plays it with us. I love games. Your post makes me want go play!

Erica said...

Thanks for the breakdown on all of the games. Do you remember when we went with the Rice's to Mexico and we had Bopit in the car? All of the Mexican border guards were playing it...we still laugh at this memory.

Shannan said...

we love Blokus!