Saturday, October 23, 2010

Dangerous Evan


This week I was rolling out pizza dough for the kids to make personalized pizza. (craft activity+ dinner in one- I feel like such a good mom). Evan has one of those high chair things you attach to a counter and he was sitting in it eating cheerios. I was gathering pizza toppings when suddenly I heard a huge CRASH! Apparently Evan was tired of eating cheerios and his hands wandered til he found a glass bowl- filled with pizza dough. He pulled it over a few inches and it came toppling off the counter and smashed onto the floor. We were all so surprised and jumped at the noise. But not Evan. He just thought it was interesting.

He's just a little guy, not quite 7 months! I couldn't believe he'd reached that bowl.While I was cleaning up the mess of broken glass and dough, I purposefully tried not to make it a big deal, even when I accidentally sliced my finger on a darn piece of glass. The only thing I said was, "Man, I actually liked that bowl." Soon the kitchen was back to normal and the kids were shaping their own pizzas. Suddenly I hear Grant on the phone. He had called Calvin (who was at the library studying and could only whisper). Grant says, "Dad, something horrible happened! Evan pulled a glass bowl down and it broke everywhere and Mom's finger is bleeding to death!" I was totally laughing and tried to shout so he could hear that we were all fine and it was no big deal. (I wonder who else at the library could hear that?!) Then Grant says dramatically, "...and Dad, it was Mom's FAVORITE bowl!"

Grant was cracking me up at how dramatic he was being. "Mom," he says. "A piece of glass could have gotten under the fridge. And if even one tiny thing breaks on electronics, then the WHOLE thing won't work. So I'm going to have to take apart the fridge." I swear, where did this kid come from?! He has been so interested in the way things work lately. He reminds me of my brother-in-law David who used to drive his mom crazy taking things apart and trying to put them back together.

Anyway, we no longer leave things within a foot radius of Evan's reach on the counter. And we call him 'Super Baby.' 'Cause he's one strong baby. Still cracks me up that he didn't even jump at the crash. What a guy. Oh, and who says boys aren't dramatic?!

3 comments:

Meridy said...

So funny!

Summer said...

Wow, I'm impressed with your self control. I really hate it when things you like break... I also hate it when I do things that later cause my kids to do something "wrong" like burn our carpet.

Danielle said...

Your boys are unbelievable and so hilarious!! I can't believe the things they say and do (Grant wanting to take apart the fridge?!) I'm so glad you write them down, both for yourself and for all the rest of us.